Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Canadian Museum of Flight, Langley BC

So we changed things up this past weekend. We went all the way out to Langley first thing in the morning for coffee and bagels and to visit the Canadian Museum of Flight**. I had no idea they had as many planes parked there as they did. And I really wish they had more space to spread them out. They were practically nose to tail and wing to wing. And I REALLY wish I'd taken notes when I was flitting from one beauty to the next. I *thought* I'd remember all the names I read on their little plaque stands....ooops! A definite reason to pay the museum a second visit.

On our way there we came across (closed Sunday, Monday & Tuesday) one of the coolest antique places I'd seen in a while - and we have Front street's 'Antique Alley' just down the hill from us here in New West - so yeah..."Napiers Country Antiques"**. I would love to get back out there on one of their 'open' days but I fear for my bank account! ****contact info down there...

So, what do you say?
Onto pictures? There are a lot. You might want to get a nice cuppa and biscuits to keep you company.

This is parked over the front door of Napier's Country Antiquesl




Triumph.

One comment on these planes. Although they are - for the most part - war machines, they are engineering marvels and awe-inspiring to look at. To me anyway. And I'm very glad that there are museums like this tiny one and a slew of others all around the world that are preserving the history of these amazing birds.


Snow Birds.
Canadair CF-104 Starfighter


Handley-Page Hampden 1942






I think the mechanics might have been paid by the rivet.
Wish my dad was here to ask.





Sikorsky S-55 (H-19B-S1) Helicopter.


The Bumble Bee.




That bridge they're building over there somewhere.


The good old Patullo Bridge. It's so sad how decrepit they've let her get.
I would love to see her turned into a tourist destination.
Markets and bistros along one side with a hop-on-hop-off rail line running the length of it.
Anyway, it was an amazing visit. I am kicking myself for not having the names of more of the planes. Yep, gonna have to go back. There is a entrance fee, (currently $10.00/person. A little less for seniors). 


Napier's Country Antiques
604-534-7222

6743 - 216th Street., Langley, BC

http://www.napiersantiques.com/index.html


Canadian Museum of Flight
(604) 532-0035

5333 216 St, Langley
http://www.canadianflight.org/



No comments:

Post a Comment