Friday, August 13, 2010

Tacoma's Point Defiance Aquarium & Zoo

WARNING: This post is very image heavy because I couldn't edit myself no matter how hard I tried. Meerkats people! And Leemurs.....and, and, and....
So, this Point Defiance Aquarium & Zoo has animals I have NEVER seen in real life! The grounds themselves are HUGE.........the enclosures themselves, uh, not so much. On one hand I was thrilled to see some of their 'residents'!!! But on the other, I was upset by the sadness some of the others seemed to give off. Yes, yes, I know I'm anthropomorphizing them - but that's how I felt looking at some of them. The elephants broke my heart and I just wanted to bust open the 'camel-ride' enclosure and set the poor things free.
But, but but, the smaller critters seemed relatively happy in their environments.

(just so's you know: there are no sad elephants or camels in this post)

The Lemurs






The Meerkats










Black Gibbon with White Cheeks


Walrus (he came to the zoo when he was 8 months old, he's 28 years old)


Seal (pretty blissful looking)


Sea Otter


Sea Anemone (in Pacific North West aquarium display)


Some decorative landscaping and plants



Big Cats

Clouded Leopard


Sumatran Tigers

The two tiger cubs lolling calmly in the midday heat had just been presented to the public that week.

Screech Owl

This teeny owl lives at the zoo because of an injury that left her blind in her left eye.

Puffins

No comments:

Post a Comment